I See the Light

The moment I found out Disney was going to release a version of Rapunzel, I got really excited. My only worry was that it would suck or not be as good as I knew Disney could make it. I mean, Disney has had lots of flops lately. Perhaps the worst thing they've done is the exorbitant number of crappy sequels. Instead of investing in new and excellent stories, they've wasted time ruining some of their best films. I mean, really? Lady and the Tramp 2, 101 Dalmatians 2, Pocahontas 2, Atlantis 2, Brother Bear 2 . . . need I go on?

But then I started hearing that it was really good, and even my male guy-movie-loving cousin told me it was good. That's when I really started to get hopeful. But I decided to play it safe and kept my expectations low until we actually got to the theater. And when I saw it, I said, "THANK YOU, DISNEY!!!"

All my expectations for a great film were met. I was a little wary of Mandy Moore playing a princess but she did it beautifully. She gave Rapunzel genuine sweetness, and I didn't know her voice could do what it did in those songs. And when I found out that Chuck Levi did Flynn's voice, I was like, "Get out of here. I didn't know he could sing." But he can and he made the perfect hero. His voice was just the right cross between rogue and lovable hero.

Besides Aladdin, Flynn is the only Disney prince who started out as a "bad guy." He was a thief and deserved to be hanged for his crime (assuming that the laws in the kingdom were just). Others didn't see potential in Aladdin and Flynn, but when a princess did, it changed their lives. Flynn ends up doing the right thing and realizing that there's more to life than himself. His dream was awful and selfish and he replaced it with the more noble one of love. Usually, the prince is the "savior" and "saves" the princess from something. But both he and Rapunzel needed saving. Flynn saved Rapunzel from a life of solitude and boredom. Then Rapunzel saved him with her warmth and kindness and love. Then he saved her and turned his life around.


Which brings me to the element of sacrifice. Flynn saves Rapunzel by cutting her hair, which pretty much shocked me. At the same time, I realized it was the only thing that could be done to free Rapunzel from Gothel. The only thing that would mess all this beauty up is the big question: Why didn't he cut her hair AFTER she healed him? Of course, that's easily resolved by the fact that Gothel could've dragged Rapunzel away the second he was healed and he wouldn't have had the chance to save her. Also, it's important to remember that his first priority was her. As much as he would've liked to live, his life wasn't what was first on his mind. Rapunzels' freedom was.


I love how they mixed all the classic fairy tale elements but created characters with modern sensibilities. There's a kingdom faraway and magic and an evil stepmother character and a princess. But the characters, while staying true to their classical origins, are refreshingly new and modernly humorous. Rapunzel is spunky, adventurous (once she gets out of that tower of course), and surprisingly social for someone who's only spoken with one other person and a chameleon all her life. What's funny is that she understands what he's saying even though he's mute. But that's Disney for you. She's optimistic and energetic and is willing to embrace everything life has to offer. She doesn't waste her time and is very industrious. While she's in the tower, she gets up at 7 a.m. (willingly) and cooks, bakes (twice if you hear the lyrics correctly), reads (if she has time to spare), charts stars, paints, sews, works out, and crochets. Wow. She's just amazing. And those eyes! She's so cute. Plus, she's sweet and sees the best in everyone and is quick to realize that the world is not full of "ruffians" as her "mother" taught her. And although she doesn't agree with Mother Gothel about leaving the tower, she does her best to honor her and feels extremely guilty about disobeying her. Of course, it turns out she doesn't have to obey her in the first place, which solves the "should Rapunzel have obeyed who she thought was her mother?" dilemma. But the woman was almost psychotic. I mean, it was completely unreasonable for Rapunzel to stay indoors ALL the time for safety and Rapunzel was innocent enough not to know that.


And as for "waiting for someone to rescue her," it's important to note that unless she cuts her hair, she really can't get down. Perhaps Cinderella could've left her abusive household and Jasmine did escape her oppressive palace, but there was no way Rapunzel could've escaped her tower without killing herself. She didn't know about the secret entrance either. She doesn't so much wait for someone to rescue her as much as she takes advantage of a chance to get out.


I also really liked the supporting characters. They are too cool. Pascal is the liveliest mute supporting character ever and he is really hardcore. Seriously, he basically killed Gothel. The pub thugs are the coolest ever especially the one who collects ceramic unicorns. He's really confident in his manhood to do that. Then again, he can pretty much beat up anyone who challenges him.


And the music was amazing! It wasn't a full-fledged musical like the other fairy tales, but it didn't need to be. The songs were in just the right places and told us more about the characters. The songs didn't overpower the plot or slow it down. They were fun and beautifully written by Alan Menken. The man is a genius.


But perhaps the best thing about the movie was THE LANTERN SCENE! I loved it!!!! It was so beautiful. Soooooo beautiful!!! AMAZING!!! It's my favorite scene apart from the ending.




On October 2, Rapunzel was officially inducted into the Disney Princess Royal Court with a ceremony at Kensington Palace in London. Wish I could've been there! But at least there's YouTube!






Conclusion: Disney redeemed itself with Tangled and I hope it's the start of a great stream of films from them.*

*Except Mars Needs Moms. That was sad. I know what happened though. That kid was too ugly. I know that sounds elitist, but no one wants to see an animated film with an ugly kid. And no one wants to see a really ugly guy as the sidekick. Not lovable Disney. Not lovable.

No comments: